Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Day at the Farm

I had to make a trip up to Logan today for a meeting. I was discussing my plans with Jane (my sister, who by the way has still not checked out my blog) and how I was not so happy about having to go up there. She told me about a baby animal festival that was this weekend at the American West Heritage Center located on the south end of Logan. So, I thought, why not? The boys were going to have to make the trip with me anyway, I might as well do something they would enjoy too. We stopped by on our way home. It was a huge success. I thought the animals would just be normal farm animals, which they had. Luke held baby ducks and a baby turkey. Cort only wanted to pet them. They saw pigs, calf's, baby horses, sheep and kids (baby goats). On our first pass of the center, we somehow missed turtle town and the snake exhibit. Good thing someone mentioned it to us before we left! I think they ended up being Luke's favorite. They let him hold baby turtles, which were actually, very cute. Even I couldn't help holding one. And he also got to hold a toad (Cort and I thought this was totally disgusting. Cort wouldn't go near the toads). But, both of the boys LOVED the snakes, lizards, and giant bugs (the bugs were absolutely gross!). Luke and Cort were very disappointed that they were not allowed to hold the many different types of snakes. They did ask everyone they could think of, just in case one of the snake guys said yes. On top of all of this, Luke was able to practice hatchet tossing and roping. It was like a little boy heaven located in Logan, UT. Of course, if you ask Cort what his favorite part was, he would say "the tractors!". The boys managed to make their way up to the front bench of the wagon on both of our tractor rides, they had a great view and loved every second of it. If you ask me what my favorite part, it was realizing (again), how kind and thoughtful Luke can be when he wants to. Multiple times throughout the day he would take something out my hands (Cort's jacket, my jacket, the camera, etc.) and say "Hey mom, let me carry that for you." Times like this, I find myself wondering who really is raising who.


So, after a drive I was not so happy about making, and a meeting that could have been more exciting, I ended up having a great day with my kids. Oh, and in case you read an earlier post in which I was whining about the weather, I can say that yesterday finally felt like spring! I even have a little pink on my face to prove that the sun is truly shining. It makes me want to cry tears of joy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Angel-
Yet again, I am saddened by all that I'm missing out on. But it sure does bring a smile to face that you couldn't knock off with a 2x4 when I see the pictures and read about the adventures. I am surprised that Cort wasn't more hands on with all the critters that creep and crawl; but Luke didn't let me down. I hope that he got to handle the snakes. Good job and the adventure selection. I am glad that you had a great time and that Luke was such a helpful gentleman. Great pics. I love you all and miss you.

Levi

EMPTY NESTERS said...

My boys are always helpful. They are learning from a great mom. I'm only sorry that I couldn't be there with you. Dad is very impressed with your writing skills. You do an excellent job. Take care of my boys. and say hi to Levi. the "momma"

MarKay said...

Hey Sandie! I was very pleasantly surprised to see your comment on my blog. We miss you guys and all of our friends back in Utah. We've heard that a lot has happened to the old neighborhood since we left. It's nice to be able to keep in touch through blogs. You are such a strong person to hold your family together while Levi is serving our country. I really admire you for that. I see that he could be coming home in a little over a month. I bet you are so excited! You can definitely add us to your friends list- but only if we can add you to ours ;) Take care- and keep in touch!

thefoursmittys said...

Hey Sis-
Here I am looking at your blog and I love it! I finally made it to the computer for some "me" time, urban is sleeping...I am so glad you made it to the "farm" we loved it last year, and I am sorry we missed it this year. It looks like the boys had a ton of fun and the trip was worth these fun memories. Good job on your blog-I too am impressed.
Hi mom and dad!
Hi Levi!
Love you sis!
Jane

Adrianne said...

Sounds like you had so much fun at the farm- Corinne already put it on her schedule for next year! But I have to admit the thing I love most about your blog is that Levi gets to share in the everyday adventures of Spagetti up the nose and the boys climbing into bed together. It makes me get teary every time I read his cute comments back to you! So happy that you are able to share your adventures with all of us!