Tuesday, June 24, 2008

For Mom

My mom is constantly reminding me and my brothers and sister about the importance of food storage. For example, last Christmas we all got a bottle of molasses. The year before we got a huge bag of beans. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it. I mean food storage is tough. Who has the storage space to collect a years worth of food for 4 people?!


Levi and I have been trying to clean out our garage for quite sometime. Everything from our basement was out there while we finished the basement. Somehow, we were both motivated to do it today. Why am I writing this? To show you the following picture. Holy cow! I had know idea we had this much.

There are 54 cans of food. Who knew! I had no idea we had that many boxes of food. Getting it all on shelves helped us realize how much there is. Now I have 2 problems. Some of it really old (1999), no idea how long I can keep it. The second, ummm, does anyone know how to use red wheat, dry milk, and pinto beans?

As far as the garage goes, we made a huge dent, but it is amazing how much we (okay, mostly Levi) can accumulate in 10 years. That being said, he got rid of a lot of stuff. A huge accomplishment for him. Well, someone may have been standing over his shoulder while he went through stuff, but still, he did a great job!

8 comments:

EMPTY NESTERS said...

That looks awesome! It looks like now I need to get you a cookbook that will help you use some of this stuff. The vegetable soup I tasted just the other day. With hamburger and cut carrots, maybe some tomato sauce, it was delicious. Love, Mom

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

I do! I do! I think it's time for a wheat grinder :)

Leslie said...

we just canned some food for the first time.. it lasts for 30 years in the tin cans.. except for flour it only last 10. I dont know how to use wheat either.. but someone that lives by me has to know.. so i'll use it to barter.. I'll give them wheat for water!! I should really get some water jugs! Good work on 54 cans!

Adrianne said...

my mom's ward put together a whole cookbook of how to use your food storage. I will see if I can track down a copy!

Chris and Susan Neff Family said...

Wow! Way to give the '72 hour kit' people a complex... Lol. Would boxed wine count?

Levi said...

I'll take Suzy up on the boxed wine; what year is it, Suzy? I prefer a merlot over most white wines for all food storage and 72hr kit menus. Yeah, yeah, yeah....Sandie tells the story; truth be known, I am the junk (emergency necessities)collector. You just never know when you may need something, from an old geneology registry book from Denmark to an old pair of GI combat boots. Sandie doesn't do justice in explaining how she brought me to tears by standing over me as the evil task master that she is, and making me discard my diligently collected treasures. I may never be the same.

Hunsaker Family said...

Levi- I feel your PAIN! Darren is the dejunk King at our house. He has been known to get the girls to gang up on me and bring me to tears as they TRY to discard my treasures! Our 5th Sunday lesson today was on Food Storage; we had a special guest speaker and even some props. I focused & took notes, I'll email Sandie a copy of all the things I learned. Now just need to implement them, hmmmmm. AND I think Aunt Laura would sob at the sight of Aunt Mary's 50 cases of 30 yr old food storage on the curb for garbage pick up! Love- T