Monday, January 5, 2009

Our Christmas Surprise

The title makes it sound like our surprise was one that was wanted and that it was something wanted by all of us. Don't be fooled, the surprise is something wanted by the boys in the family. Who does that leave that did not want the surprise? Me, just me. If you know me at all, you know that I am not much of a dog person. Apparently, I am outnumbered in our home, and for Christmas, we were ever so lucky and got a puppy. Yeah (not). Levi, thought it would be a great surprise to find a puppy Christmas morning. I'm pretty sure he knew it would be the only way he would get one. Once the boys saw him, there was no going back. So, Cort and Luke got to wake up to the puppy. Yeah, again (not). Then the dog got to help open presents. So much fun.

Ok, his name is Titan, he is now 8 weeks old, and we (I) am dealing with him. He whimpers at night, and Levi has to get up with him at night to put him out. What? I didn't get him. We're working on potty training, who knew that would be so hard. Fun times when you put him outside and then he comes back in and goes on the wood floor. But, every now and then he redeems himself and looks cute. Puppies really do know how to use those eyes. And, I've found, that like little boys, puppies are the cutest when they're sleeping. Maybe I'll get lucky and Levi won't read this post. He doesn't need to know all of this. I did tell Luke that if the dog goes to the bathroom one more time on my floor, we are going to have to get rid of him. Luke silently went to his room and started to cry. Crap!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do love it!! Threats don't go very far when love is in the air. How can you not love those eyes and the happiness dogs bring to a child are priceless. Even you had your moments before we had to get rid of our pets. Love you all

My blog definitely needs a change. Try something dramatic. We can change it if I don't like it.

maxfamclan said...

Super cute!!! what kind of dog is it? They are a ton of work, but with a house full of boys it was probably unavoidable, and at least they are old enough to help (teach em' to pooper scoop young!). And I agree that puppy potty training is easily just as frustrating and normal potty training. Good luck!

Corinne said...

Ohhhh Sandie, he is super cute (sorry)! I hate training dogs though and I was never any good at it. I was talking to Janet Fisher about your new, ahem, present and she suggested a doggie day care for when Levi is out of town and you work. Apparently they wear the dog out and they just sleep when they get home. Oh, and she also suggested a dog walker. I also think you should build a double wide doghouse so Levi can bunk with Titon :).

kping said...

That's why they say that dogs are MAN'S best friend! Good luck.

Adrianne said...

Agggggaaaaahhhh!!!! i would die and be the super mean mom that wouldn't let it stay. kudos to you for atleast letting the puppy in the house! hope you survive the potty training thing . . .

Anonymous said...

He is a cutie, We had a couple puppies that looked just like him when we were growing up. We had HUNDREDS OF PUPPIES! That is why I now have only cats---and cats aren't as easy to potty train as you might expect!

I feel for you, Sandie.

Aleta

Leslie said...

Your post made me laugh out loud! I'm also not a dog person and I can totally see myself in that situation one day! You are a good mama to let those boys keep the dog.. i'd be finding him a new home and quick!!

Heather-joy said...

I know you've shown me pictures but I still have to comment, he's sooo cute! I hope Titan is working out, patience is a virtue.

Palmer Family said...

Ah, how CUTE! Puppies are soooooooooooooooooo bloody hard, though! It took Booda 6 months to get potty-trained, but I think he might suffer from a little mental "wetardation." He's a hamburger shy of a happy-meal. Good Luck and may the force be with you!!!

Hunsaker Family said...

Tital is adorable. DO NOT show Bethany or any of my girls. They will never never give up on the hopes of a DOG.

Anonymous said...

Sannnnnndieeeee,
Where have you been? I'm sure Titan is a little bigger by now. Would love to hear from you again.

Love, Mom